We’ve been chatting with our main subcontractors, suppliers and regular collaborators to find out their best sellers 2020. We asked them to answer across all their client base and not just Milliken Builders. We expected some of the replies but were surprised by others that we had not observed among our own clients throughout this year.
Here is what we discovered have been the best sellers and installation requests in 2020.
Midnight Owl Plumbing mobile: 0418 223 370
- Back to wall toilets
- Free standing tubs
- Twin showers
- Wall hung vanities
Milliken Builders, Midnight Owl Plumbing, McLeish Electrical,
21st Century Tiling, GADS Glass & Showerscreens, Brad Taylor Painting
McLeish Electrical Pty Ltd mobile: 0438 260 602
- Underfloor heating in bathrooms
- LED strip lighting in kitchens
- Wall mounted TVs with everything hidden
21st Century Tiles phone: 4256 6734
www.21stcenturytiles.com.au and Facebook
- Laying pattern – Herringbone
- Tiles – ripple subway and 60 x 60 tiles
- Colours – mostly no colour or grey
- Bathroom features – large floor tiles carried up one wall; patterned floor tiles with plain walls
- Niches or recesses
- Kitchen features – Herringbone splashbacks
21st Century Tiles bathroom renovations
Brad Taylor Painting mobile: 0414 773 695
- Colours – white and grey tones
- Feature walls
- bold colours such as red and orange
- wallpaper on feature wall
- Pickawall DIY Wallpaper and Murals on feature walls
Hanlon Windows Australia phone: 1300 552 400
www.hanlonwindows.com.au, Facebook and Instagram
- Stacker and bi-fold doors and sliding windows – always top sellers
- Gas strut windows for serveries – new in 2020
- Fixed windows and louvres for kitchen splashbacks
- Energy efficient glass
Hanlon Windows Australia
GADS Glass & Showerscreens phone: 4257 7677 https://gadsglass.com and Facebook
- Frameless and semi frameless shower screens
- Bevelled edge mirrors
- Round and oval mirrors
- Black, satin gold and brass – whatever is featured on The Block!
G & V Fabrication phone: 4296 4469 mobile: 0422 366 267 email: email@example.com www.gvfabrication.com.au and Instagram
- Frameless glass for balustrades and pools
- Aluminium privacy screens and louvres
- Matt finish – very popular
Best Kitchens phone: 4227 1000
email: firstname.lastname@example.org www.bestkitchens-srp.com.au, Facebook and Instagram
- Stone benchtops – almost becoming a must have
- Soft close to all doors and drawers – even appliances
- Handleless kitchens – though trend is moving towards handles
- Hamptons/Shaker style kitchens
- Matt finishes
- Textures – faux deep woodgrain, concrete feel benchtops, textured tiles etc
- Curves are coming back!
- Organic materials and colours – new products inspired by colours and materials in nature
ALS Drafting (Allan Besednjak) mobile: 0403 121 523
email: email@example.com, Facebook and Instagram
- Style – coastal/modern
- Skillion roof, glass, cladding
- Bespoke designs that don’t look like extensions
ALS Drafting, Milliken Builders
We are all probably wondering what 2021 holds. At Milliken Builders we are keen to see what transpires in the residential building and renovation industry, what styles will change and what new trends will emerge.
If you are considering a new build, an extension or a renovation in 2021 you are probably wondering the same.
Tips to consider
- Think about style versus trends. Remember that style is timeless while a trend is something popular for a period of time.
- Consider making the more expensive components of your job simple and your less expensive components trendy example: kitchen simple with a trendy splashback.
- Consider making items that are difficult to change simple and items easier to change trendy example: flooring simple with a bright colour painted or wall papered feature wall.
- Consider whether you will still love this item 10 years from now example: kitchens, bathrooms, flooring.
Our kitchen was installed 20 years ago by Best Kitchens – and we still love it!
- Consider whether a trendy item is going to be difficult to clean or maintain example: is there enough room to easily clean behind a free standing bathtub?